Panasonic Corporate Vision
Panasonic has a vision to become the No. 1 Green Innovation Company in the Electronics Industry by 2018, when Panasonic will celebrate its 100th anniversary. Panasonic aspires for global excellence as a Green Innovation Company, encompassing two goals: Green Life Innovation to realize green lifestyles that enrich people's lives and Green Business Innovation to produce further innovation in our business styles.
Over the life of a product — from design concept to its useful end of life — manufacturing can often have the biggest impact on the environment. Panasonic is committed to minimizing the environmental impacts from the manufacturing process. Among the company's initiatives to minimize its manufacturing impacts include:
- All Panasonic products, including mobile computers, flat-panel displays, DVD players, digital cameras and cellular telephones, are built using lead-free soldering.
- Use of plastic resins are kept to a minimum to facilitate easier recycling.
- By combining more effective use of our limited resources with recycling-oriented manufacturing, Panasonic contributes to the development of a sustainable society.
- To learn more about Panasonic's approach to resource recycling, Download PDF »
- Panasonic further aims to reduce its environmental impact to as close to zero as possible in all of our factories worldwide. Specifically targeted are a reduction in factories' CO2 emissions, total waste generation, and chemical substance releases.
Eco-conscious Product Initiatives
Panasonic uses a product assessment system that evaluates the environmental impacts of our products and services beginning at their planning and design stages. Based on our demanding criteria, we accredit our products and services that have achieved top environmental performance in the industry as Superior Green Products. The accreditation criteria for our Green Products includes their performance in terms of prevention of global warming (product efficiency), effective utilization of resources and management of chemical substances. Products are compared to both our own models and our competitors' products.
One key initiative is to greatly expand the use of recycled content in our products. For our 2018 product line-up, Panasonic has set a recycled content goal of 16% post-consumer recycled content materials.
Milestones and Awards
Panasonic's reputation as an environmentally conscious company dates back to it's founder, Konosuke Matsushita, and his belief in putting people before products.
From the creation of a Pollution Committee in 1970 and a Corporate Environmental Management office in 1971, Panasonic has a history of proactive environmental management. This includes formation of a CFC Reduction Committee in 1988, creation of our Environmental Charter in 1991, publication of Panasonic's first Environmental Report in 1998, ISO 14001 certification for all Panasonic factories in 1998, adoption of a 10 year Green Plan in 2001, and most recently establishment of our current Green Plan 2018.
Panasonic has earned a number of environmental accolades over the years based on our environmental activities, policies, and products. Among our recent recognition includes:
- 2013 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence
- 2012 Interbrand's Global Best Green Brands (#6 ranking)
- 2012 Top 100 in Newsweek's Green Rankings of Global Companies
- 2012 EPA's Most Sustainable Materials Electronics Challenge
- 2012 ENERGY STAR Sustained Excellence Award
- 2011 FTSE4 Good Global index
- 2011 Two Tomorrows Value Rating (Aaa)
- 2011 Dow Jones Sustainability Index
- 2011 Global 100 Index of Most Sustainable Companies
- 2011 #1 in Nikkei Environmental Rankings
- SAM 2011 Gold Class.
- 2011 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year award
- 2010 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year award
For more information about Panasonic's environmental initiatives, please visit: http://www.panasonic.net/eco