The AVC-Intra codec further advances HD production. It complies with the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 international standard based on advanced image compression technology, and offers both superb image quality and highly efficient compression. It uses an intra-frame compression system to bring important advantages to professional editing. The AG-HPD24 can record in AVC-Intra 100 for maximum picture quality or in AVC-Intra 50, which adopts a lower bit rate, for versatile operation. It also supports the DVCPRO HD codec.
• AVC-Intra 100: With the same bit rate as DVCPRO HD, this mode gives you full 10 bit recording with 1920 x 1080* pixels. It captures masterquality video for high-end image production.
• AVC-Intra 50: This mode delivers video quality very similar to DVCPRO HD with 1440 x 1080* pixels, yet is able to do so at bit rates usually associated with standard definition (e.g. DVCPRO 50). AVC-Intra 50&s lower bit rate doubles the recording time and cuts the data transfer time in half.
Handling a wide range of HD formats, such as 1080p, 1080i and 720p, the AG-HPD24 can be switched between 59.94 Hz and 50 Hz to adapt to the world&s HD broadcasting formats. The AG-HPD24 supports 1080/24p native recording and playback with the AVC-Intra codec. HD SDI mode provides 1080/24PsF input/output for use in high-end movie production. And SD recording in both NTSC (480i) and PAL (567i) are available with multi codec (DVCPRO 50, DVCPRO, DV).
The AG-HPD24 can convert up or down between HD and SD or crossconvert between 720p and 1080i during playback. It also features an aspect conversion function.* Only cross-conversion is available in 3D mode.
The AG-HPD24 can extract active frames from VFR (variable frame rate) signals output by a VariCam and record them in 720/24p. VariCam-like 60p pull-down output can also be provided by playing back a video clip in a P2 card recorded in native 720/24p by the AJ-HPX2700, the AG-HPX500 Series, the AG-HPX370 Series, the AG-HPX170 Series or the AG-HPX250 (scheduled for release in Autumn 2011) P2HD camera recorders.* Not supported in 3D mode.
This function converts images recorded by a VariCam or images recorded in the Film Rec mode of the AJ-HPX3100 to the same kind of film-like look as the Telecine 5 or Telecine 6 mode of the AJ-GBX27G HD Gamma Corrector. It can also convert to the Cineon curve for film-recording.
AVC-Intra mode features high-quality 24 bit digital audio recording. You can select either 24 bit 4 channel or 16 bit 8 channel recording. DVCPRO HD mode provides 16 bit 8 channel, and DVCPRO 50/DVCPRO/DV mode includes 16 bit 4 channel recording.* To play video clips recorded with 24 bit audio, use a 24 bit-compatible P2 device or P2 viewer. A P2 device that is not 24 bit compatible will display the clip number in red, and playback will not be possible. A P2 viewer that is not 24 bit compatible will not produce normal sound. Use the latest P2 viewer version. For current information on 24 bit-compatible P2 devices and P2 viewers, see " Service and Support ".
The P2 card offers a large capacity of up to 64 GB* in a small, lightweight package. Its rugged design withstands even harsh professional use. It is highly resistant to temperature fluctuations, dust, impact and vibration, and is free of the problems that are common in tapes, such as condensation, head clogging and dropouts. The P2 card promises solid reliability and excellent mobility under the often difficult conditions of field recording. Because data is automatically recorded in blank card spaces, there is no need for cueing and the risk of accidentally overwriting valuable data is eliminated.
In addition to continuous, double-card recording, the AG-HPD24 enables some useful recording functions that are possible only with memory cards.
• Hot-Swap Rec: Thanks to the two card slots, you can hot-swap P2 cards for continuous non-stop recording. With multiple cards you can record for hours without interruption.
• Auto Rec: This function automatically starts recording in response to SDI video input.
• Loop Rec*: This function continuously records video data onto available memory card areas. When the card becomes full, older data is deleted to free up the recording area, resulting in loss-less, endless recording. When used with cameras for time-sensitive information gathering like weather and news reporting, the loop rec function holds the latest video data for a predetermined time period.
• Text Memo: When recording or previewing a clip, you can attach a memo (similar to a bookmark) at a desired location (up to 100 locations on a frame basis). The simplified editing function* lets you copy a segment between memos and create a new clip. Text information can be added to a memo.
• Shot Marker: During or after recording, you can mark each clip with OK, NG or another designation.
• Clip Metadata: This function lets you browse and edit metadata, such as the name of the camera operator and reporter, shooting location and text memos. Text data can also be easily inserted by connecting a USB or software keyboard, and metadata files can be uploaded from an SD/SDHC card.
The USB 2.0 keyboard terminal lets you connect an ordinary USB keyboard for easy metadata text input. A software keyboard is also provided.
Using the clip thumbnail (image list) display, you can select clips for instant playback, deletion, copying* or resequencing. This makes it easy to gather and display clips for broadcasting or editing. The advanced GUI displays the clip properties on the same screen as the clips and clearly shows the source data – with scroll bar, clip count and playback position – at a glance. The thumbnail display can be changed to show any of the images in the clip.* Not supported in 3D mode.
• Format Auto Playback: This automatically detects the video format and codec for each video clip to play back and output.
• Variable Speed Playback: For slow-motion and double-speed playback.
• PB Position Selection: This lets you select the playback position when playing from a thumbnail image. You can select from three different options: Previous playback position, thumbnail time code position, or the beginning of the clip.
• Repeat Playback: This plays the selected clip (single or multiple) repeatedly.
The AG-HPD24 has waveform and vectorscope display functions for the playback or input video signal on the LCD monitor. It can also display on Video Out and SDI Out.
Example of a waveform display
You can select from a total of 31 functions for allocation to the six user buttons. These settings are saved internally and protected when the power is turned off. They can also be easily checked on a diagnostic display. An user file containing the settings can be saved onto an SD/SDHC card.
• USB 3.0 (Host): AVC-Intra 100 codec files can be copied to external storage at approximately 4 times normal speed.*3
• USB 2.0 (Device): Device mode allows use as a P2 card drive for a PC (nonlinear editor).
• Playback: P2 MXF files on an external storage can be displayed as thumbnails and played back.*4 P2 audio playback is uninterrupted by slow hard disk performance, or when vibration temporarily delays data reading.
The AG-HPD24 features an HDMI output terminal, the next-generation interface for HD images and sound. This provides digital output for a wide variety of both professional and consumer devices. It is also compatible with 3D images.* HDMI output and SDI output cannot be used simultaneously.
The AG-HPD24 also features the same RS-422A remote terminal (9-pin) that is found on many broadcast VTRs, allowing it to be controlled as a player by an external editing controller.
HD/SD SDI input and output terminals are provided as standard equipment. This enables high-quality line recording using signals from a video camera or a video switcher. When connected to a camera recorder, the AG-HPD24 syncs Rec Start/Stop with the camera trigger. On-Screen Display (OSD) and thumbnail displays can also be output.*=* Not supported in 3D mode.
The AG-HPD24 has Ref input, analog video (composite) output,* XLR analog audio inputs (Ch 1/Ch 2), audio monitor outputs (L/R), time code input/output, and a headphone jack.* This is not output when the system frequency is 24 Hz. Also, the left image is output during 3D mode.
Half-rack size with a 2U height, the AG-HPD24 weighs only about 2.0 kg (4.41 lb). Mounting the large battery (CGA-D54/5,400 mAh) enables 160 minutes of continuous playback. The included AC adaptor allows operation from an AC power source.
Audio can be monitored from the front speaker.
Dual HD SDI (left/right video) signals from a 3D rig-type camera system or an integrated twin-lens 3D camera, such as the AG-3DA1 or AG-3DP1 (scheduled to be released in Winter 2011), can be sync recorded on two AG-HPD24 decks (left image on the first deck, and right image on the second). The AVC-Intra codec records high-quality images with full-pixel HD and full sampling data for both left and right channels for high-end 3D image production.*3D recording is possible only with the AVC-Intra codec.
The left and right images from two AG-HPD24 decks can be played back in sync. HDMI output is possible to a home-use 3DTV, or HD SDI dual output is possible to a professional 3D monitor or projector. Using the control panel of the master (left) AG-HPD24, left/right sync operations include Rec Start/Stop,*1 Clip Thumbnail Display, Clip Playback*1 (including variable speed playback), Clip Delete, Text Memo, and Shot Marker addition. This makes 3D images as easy to handle as 2D images.