The new AVC-Intra codec further advances HD production. It complies with the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 international standard based on advanced image compression technology, and offers both superb image quality and highly efficient compression. It uses an intra-frame compression system to bring important advantages to professional editing. The AJ-HPD2500 can record in AVC-Intra 100 for maximum picture quality or in AVC-Intra 50, which adopts a lower bit rate, for versatile operation. It also supports DVCPRO HD codec.
• AVC-Intra 100: With the same bit rate as DVCPRO HD, this mode supports full 10 bit recording with 1920 x 1080* pixels. It captures master-quality video for high-end video production.
• AVC-Intra 50: This mode delivers video quality very similar to DVCPRO HD with 1440 x 1080* pixels, yet is able to do so at bit rates usually associated with standard definition (e.g., DVCPRO 50). AVC-Intra 50’s lower bit rate doubles the recording time and cuts the transferring time in half.
*These figures are for 1080 mode. The AJ-HPD2500 also supports 720p mode.
The AJ-HPD2500 can convert up or down between HD and SD or cross-convert between 720p and 1080i during playback. It can also up-convert SD input for recording in HD, and it features an aspect conversion function.
* The cross-converter function is disabled during up-conversion recording. During up-conversion recording, the closed caption signal in the SD signal is recorded as a 608-format HD (VANC) signal (59.94 Hz only). The closed caption signal in the SD signal is not output during up-conversion, down-conversion or cross-conversion playback.
Supporting a wide range of HD formats, such as 1080p, 1080i and 720p, the AJ-HPD2500 can be switched between 59.94 Hz and 50 Hz to adapt to the world’s HD broadcasting formats. The AJ-HPD2500 supports 1080/24p (30p/25p) native recording and playback with the AVC-Intra codec. In HD SDI mode, it supports 1080/24PsF input/output for use in high-end movie production. It also supports SD, and multi-codec recording (DVCPRO 50, DVCPRO, DV) is possible in both NTSC (480i) and PAL (576i).
The AJ-HPD2500 can extract active frames from VFR (variable frame rate) signals output by a VariCam and record them in 720/24p (30p/25p). The AJ-HPD2500 can also provide VariCam-like 60p pull-down output (50p from25p) by playing back a video clip in a P2 card recorded in native 720/24p (30p/25p) by the AJ-HPX2700, the AG-HPX500 Series, the AG-HPX 370 Series, the AG-HPX170 Series, the AG-HPX250 or the AG-HPX255 P2HD camera recorders.
The AJ-HPD2500 can record and play back 24 bit/48 kHz/4 channel digital audio in AVC-Intra mode or 16 bit/48 kHz/8 channel in DVCPRO HD/AVC-Intra mode. It comes with AES/EBU digital audio input and output (BNC) terminals. This allows the connection of digital audio equipment with a 48 kHz sampling rate or digital VTR. Since the AJ-HPD2500 supports SDI embedded audio, it can record and play back up to eight channels with 16 bit audio or four channels with 24 bit audio. For SD format, the AJ-HPD2500 records and plays four channels audio in all DVCPRO 50/DVCPRO/DV codecs.
*When recording in AVC-Intra 100 / 50 only. For playback, equipment or software compatible with 24 bit audio is required. For details, refer to the "Note regarding 24 bit Audio".
The P2 card offers a large capacity of up to 64 GB* in a small, lightweight package. Its rugged design withstands even harsh professional use. The AJ-HPD2500 comes with six P2 card slots. It enables continuous recording for up to 12 hours onto six cards (using the AVC-Intra 50 codec), for extended HD recording and transmission.
• Hot-Swap Recording / Playing: The P2 cards can be replaced while recording or playing. Endless recording can be achieved if changing the occupied card to the blank card continuously. During Playback, if a new P2 card is inserted, it will be automatically recognized and played back without a break.
• Auto Recording: This function automatically starts recording by SDI signal input.
• Loop Recording: Endless recording sequentially overwrites the oldest data with new data. When used with cameras for time-sensitive information gathering like weather news, the loop recording function holds the latest video data for a predetermined time period.
* Total card capacity includes space for data management such as system data; therefore, the actual usable area is less than the capacity indicated on the card.
• Text Memo: When recording or previewing a clip, you can attach a memo (similar to a bookmark) at a desired location (up to 100 locations on a frame basis). The simplified editing function lets you copy a segment between memos and create a new clip. Text information can be added to a memo.
• Shot Marker: During or after recording, you can mark each clip with OK, NG or other designation.
• Clip Metadata: This function lets you browse and edit metadata, such as the name of the camera operator and reporter, shooting location and text memos. Text data can also be easily inserted by connecting a USB or software keyboard, and metadata files can be uploaded from an SD/SDHC card.
You can select clips for instant playback, deletion, copying or resequencing. This makes it easy to gather and display clips for broadcasting or editing. The new GUI displays the clip properties on the same screen as the clips and clearly shows the source data – with scroll bar, clip count and playback position – at a glance.The thumbnail display can be changed to show any of the images in the clip, and the GUI can be output to a monitor.
Like a broadcast editor, the AJ-HPD2500 is equipped with a jog and shuttle dial. You can shuttle search at up to 100x normal speed in forward or reverse and jog search within a range of -1x to +1x speed. Audio can be monitored up to 10x normal speed.
The playlist function lets you instantly cut edit* up to 100 events or a timeline of up to 24 hours. Operating ease and functions have both been enhanced.
• Editor GUI: The GUI simultaneously displays player-side (source material) thumbnails or a preview screen on the left side, a recorder-side (timeline) preview screen on the right side, and the timeline at the bottom. It can also be output to a monitor.
• AV Independent Edit: Any desired track can be independently selected and edited from the video track and four channels audio track. The IN/OUT points for each track on the timeline can also be trimmed.
• Insert Edit and Overwrite Edit: There are two editing modes – the insert editing mode for inserting a new event between events and the overwrite editing mode for overwriting an existing event with a new event.
• Editcopy Function: Playlists can be saved as files and reused. It can be saved on P2 cards, HDD connected via eSATA or USB, or FTP server.
* No transition settings or effects are available. V fade between events can be set only for audio.
The AJ-HPD2500 P2 Deck features easy manual transmission by itself. The one-clip playback function plays resequenced clips one at a time, and the new GUI Hold lets you check the thumbnail image of the next clip by displaying the thumbnail screen onto both the LCD and a monitor during playback. It can also be remote controlled through a parallel, RS-232C or RS-422A interface, for easy operation while checking the thumbnail images on a control desk monitor.
Insert and Overwrite editing mode: Inserting an event on the current timeline and overwriting the current timeline with an event are available. Rewrite Edit: Choosing a clip to be edited and overwritten like a VTR is possible. It avoids rendering (edit copy) and allows a quick correction.
The AJ-HPD2500 is equipped with a Direct Capture function. It lets you set IN and OUT points on the player-side preview screen by controlling an external VTR connected via an RS-422A interface, and register or capture (digitization and clip creation) video footage directly onto the editing timeline. This allows quick P2HD production from tape sources in a linear-like fashion. It can also use the clips on the external HDD connected via eSATA or USB as the editing source.
• High-Speed Backup/Restore: Data can be backed up or restored on an eSATA hard disk at up to 4x*1 normal speed. USB 2.0 transfer speed has also been approximately at up to 2x previous model. A Device mode allows a PC (nonlinear editor) to serve as a P2 card drive.
• HDD Playback: P2 MXF files on an external hard disk can be displayed at thumbnails and played back at full frame rate.*2 P2 audio playback is uninterrupted by slow hard disk performance, or when vibration temporarily delays data reading.
• Playlist Editing: The files on a hard disk can be used for playlists and direct captures in the same way as P2 card data.
*1: For AVC-Intra 100 or DVCPRO HD.
*2: Playback is based on a best-effort basis. Panasonic doesn&t guarantee smooth playback without frame drops.
The AJ-HPD2500 has waveform and vectorscope display functions for the playback or input video signal on the LCD monitor. During up-conversion recording, the post-conversion waveform is displayed. It can also displays on Monitor Out (SD)/SDI Out.
* No superimposition will be displayed when the waveform is displayed on an external monitor.
• Format Auto Playback: This automatically detects the video format and codec for each video clip to play back and output.
• Variable Speed Playback: For slow-motion and double-speed playback.
• PB Position Selection: This lets you select the playback position when playing from a thumbnail image. You can select from three different options: Previous playback position, thumbnail time code position, or the beginning of the clip.
• Repeat Playback: This plays the selected clip (single or multiple) repeatedly.
* Repeat playback of multiple clips is possible only with clips of the same format.
The AJ-HPD2500 is provided with an Ethernet port (1000Base-T/100Base-TX/10Base-T) and features the following network functions.
• FTP Client Function: This function lets you connect the AJ-HPD2500 to an FTP server to send or receive clips to or from the server. You can upload files from a P2 card or external hard disk to an FTP server, or download files from the server to a P2 card or external hard disk. Files can be uploaded or downloaded easily by using thumbnails. SD/SDHC memory cards can be transferred card by card only.
• FTP/Samba Server Function: A PC can upload (by FTP) or download the files to or from a P2 card in an AJ-HPD2500 slot or to or from an external HDD connected to the AJ-HPD2500 via network.*1
• HTTP Server Function: You can view thumbnails and metadata from a PC connected to the network.*1
• WWW Browser Function: You can access various web pages*2 without a PC. It is also possible to enter authentication information (ID and password) for network access.
*1: SD/SDHC memory cards cannot be accessed.
*2: Some web pages may not be displayed properly due to content. Download functions on web pages cannot be used. Video clips on web pages or linked video files cannot be played.
The AJ-HPD2500 comes with eight channels AES/EBU digital audio input and output (BNC) terminals. Since the AJ-HPD2500 supports SDI embedded audio, it can record and play back up to eight channels with 16 bit audio or four channels with 24 bit audio.
The AJ-HPD2500 has broadcast-standard SDI (HD/SD) input and output terminals. The input signal can be selected with the Video In and Audio In keys on the front panel. Start and stop recording operation can also be linked to a camera recorder.
* AJ-HPD2500 can output superimposition or thumbnails.
* To use linked and automatic recording, the function must be supported by the connected camera recorder. For details, please visit "Other manufacturers& ”AUTO REC” verified Camera list".
When equipped with the optional AJ-YCX250G AVCHD codec board, the AJ-HPD2500 can record and play back AVCHD files on an SD/SDHC memory card. It can also convert and copy files between P2HD and AVCHD at normal speed.
• AVCHD Data Playback Output: AVCHD can be played back on the built-in monitor and output from the HD SDI terminal. This function is useful for using an AVCCAM camera recorder or consumer AVCHD camera recorder.
• P2HD/AVCHD Simultaneous Recording: HD SDI input can be recorded in the AVC-Intra/DVCPRO HD format on P2 card and AVCHD format on SD/SDHC card simultaneously.
• AVCHD to P2HD Conversion: Clips recorded by an AVCCAM camera recorder can be converted and copied into the AVC-Intra/DVCPRO HD format for use in playlist editing with the AJ-HPD2500 or editing with a P2HD-compatible nonlinear editor.
• P2HD to AVCHD Conversion: By copying P2HD clips into low bit rate AVCHD files, it is possible to transfer clips to a server at high speed.
* It is not possible to record in AVCHD format only. The use of DCF Technologies is under license from Multi-Format, Inc.
* The clip metadata will not be copied by conversion copying.
The AJ-HPD2500 features RS-422A remote that is common in broadcast VTRs (allowing it to be controlled as a player for editing*). It supports VDCP (Video Disk Control Protocol) command in addition to an external VTR control and allows a server-like operation to supply clip-list or be played back by specified clip ID. It also features RS-232C remote for use with PCs and other IT systems, parallel remote, and encoder remote for flexible system configurations.
* Remote control with the RS-422A interface is not possible in AVCHD mode.
The AJ-HPD2500 is equipped with various analog I/Os: Composite Video In, Composite Monitor Out, Audio In/Out (2 channels), Audio Monitor Out (2 channels), Time Code In/Out and Reference Video In (with loop-through).
The AJ-HPD2500 has the same height and 4U size as our DVCPRO VTRs and mounts easily into a 19 type rack. It can slip right in as a replacement for an older VTR.
* Mounting adaptor must be purchased separately.
Versatile input and output terminals of the AJ-HPD2500 meet a wide range of broadcast station and CATV needs, from line and studio recording to editing, transmitting and archiving. This P2 deck is also equipped with the RS-422A, RS-232C and 25-pin parallel remote control interfaces that are used by conventional VTR systems. It supports VDCP command via RS-422A and server-like operation. Its networking functions and eSATA/USB 2.0 interface further allow the AJ-HPD2500 to serve as the core of a file-based broadcasting system, while allowing continued use of existing tape materials and serving as a flexible add-on to smooth the transition from a tape-based to a file-based system.
*The use of DCF Technologies is under license from Multi-Format, Inc.