• High-resolution full-pixel (1920 x 1080) HD images
• Records high-quality images using 10 bit/4:2:2 sampling
• One-clip recording function records multiple cuts in a single clip
The new AJ-HPX3100 may just change the way you view high-end broadcast camera recorders. Its new body design has a low center of gravity for added stability and gives you an unobstructed view to both sides. It weighs only about 3.9 kg(8.6 lb). Two P2 card slots reside on the side where the main controls are arranged. Boasting excellent mobility and easy operation, the camera section incorporates a 2.2 megapixel 2/3-type 3CCD, a high-performance DSP, and an AVC-Intra Codec LSI. The AJ-HPX3100 records broadcast-quality HD video with full-pixel (1920 x 1080) resolution using 10bit/4:2:2 sampling. It has a high sensitivity of F11 (60i)*1 or F12 (50i)*1 at 2,000 lx and low noise with a 59 dB*2 S/N ratio to assure the level of recording quality that is demanded for broadcasting and video production. P2 HD functions newly offered by the AJ-HPX3100 include 24 bit audio,*3 high-quality proxy recording*4, and wireless metadata input capability via wireless LAN*5. Armed with the reliability and quick recording starts of solid-state memory cards, the AJ-HPX3100 could revolutionize your news gathering and program production workflow.The AJ-HPX3100 has also dramatically reduced power consumption as compared with the conventional model*6, thus improving mobility and helping to protect the global environment.
• A newly designed body with low center of gravity offers unobstructed views on both sides and weighs approx. 3.9 kg (8.6 lb) without accessories.
• Power consumption is approx. 34 W for the camera recorder only, about 23% lower than a conventional model.*6
• The 2.2 megapixel 2/3-type 3CCD provides high-resolution full-pixel (1920 x 1080) HD images.
• A high sensitivity of F11/F12*1, and an excellent S/N ratio of 59 dB.*2
• The AVC-Intra 100 codec records high-quality images using 10 bit/4:2:2 sampling.
• Supports high-quality 24 bit audio recording*3
• The one-clip recording function records multiple cuts in a single clip.
• New options enable high-quality proxy video*4 and wireless LAN capability.*5
• Optional color or black-and-white type viewfinder.
• Supports optional camera studio systems.
The left-channel and right-channel optical sections, image sensors, signal processing circuits and recording section are precisely synchronized. The AG-3DA1 outputs left-eye and right-eye full-HD image signals as simultaneous HD-SDI video and also records to the SD/SDHC memory cards in the AVCHD format.
The camera section features a 3CCD system with a high-density 2.2 megapixel 2/3 type 3CCD to offer full-pixel HD (1920 x 1080) resolution and high F11 or F12* sensitivity. The switchable interlace/progressive system adapts to 1080/23.98p (or 29.97p, 25p) native video recording.
The high-performance DSP circuit provides rich gradation and superb color reproduction based on 14 bit A/D conversion. With an S/N ratio of 59 dB (when the DNR is turned ON), it also offers low noise. The circuit features high-precision picture quality adjustment functions such as a skin tone detail function and a 12 axis independent color correction function. The new DSP circuit achieves less consumption than previous models.
This exclusive technology works between the lens and camera, allowing for a highly sophisticated algorithm to be deployed that automatically compensates the registration error that is caused mainly by lens chromatic aberration, and minimizes the neighboring blur.
The digital super gain (frame cumulative mode) lets the AJ-HPX3100 record with a high S/N ratio*1 and less of the noise that commonly comes with higher gain. The gain and digital super gain can be flexibly combined to achieve highly sensitive recording of up to a +76 dB*2 gain increase and 0.005 lx minimum illumination, to suit various shooting conditions. *1: Due to the use of image accumulation, the number of recorded frames per second decreases. This results in a frame-by-frame playback effect. *2: With super gain set at +42 dB and digital super gain (cumulative mode) at +34 dB.
DRS recognizes the average brightness of highlight and shadow areas and then automatically adjusts the aperture and uses knee control to suppress blocking in the shadow areas. In scenes with mixed dark and light areas, DRS automatically provides a wider dynamic range with minimal blown highlights and blocked shadows. Two new color saving modes (Mode 1: Natural color, Mode 2: Vivid color) for high-brightness effects and a depth (3 steps for compression level) setting function have been added to improve adjustment.
The convergence angle between the two lenses is varied inside the optical unit. This moves the convergence point (the reference plane of the 3D image) in a fore-and-aft direction to control the leaping and depth effects of recorded objects, and acquires natural-looking 3D images. The convergence point can be adjusted easily by using the CONV (convergence) dial* while viewing the L/R-MIX image on the LCD monitor.
Digital zoom electronically increases the magnification rate of the lens by 2x, 3x or 4x. HD images retain their superior resolution even with zooming, and — unlike when a lens extender is used — brightness is not reduced. *The digital processing effect is perceptible in the image when x3 or x4 zoom is used.
The DSP circuit in the AJ-HPX3100 has seven selectable gamma modes. These include Film-Rec and Video-Rec gamma for movie production, which are the same modes incorporated in the VariCam.
• Scene Files: Store specific camera settings. Four files with settings can be stored in the camera unit, and eight files can be stored on an SD/SDHC memory card. The files can be copied between the camera&s memory and the SD/SDHC memory card.
• Lens Files: Store settings for interchangeable lenses. Eight files can be stored in the camera unit, and 64 (8 x 8) files can be saved on an SD/SDHC Memory Card.
This function simplifies focusing by displaying, in graph form, the frequency distribution of the incoming signal in the viewfinder and LCD monitor.
The User buttons let you turn frequently used functions on or off with a single touch. In addition to USER MAIN, USER 1 and USER 2, you can change SHOT MARK and TEXT MEMO to other functions if desired.
The auto white balance (AWB) function offers a wide color temperature adjustment range of up to 15000 K. The two-value memory/1-value preset enables quick switching. The color temperature can be adjusted with the jog dial after the white balance is set. A subject-following ATW (auto tracking white) function is also provided.
The optional AJ-CVF100G HD Color Viewfinder employs a 25.4 mm(1 inch) 1,500,000-dot-equivalent (960 x 540 x 3 [RGB]) transmission type LCOS (Liquid Crystal On Silicon) to achieve high resolution, high brightness and high response. It helps to reduce the possibility of white balance adjustment errors and other errors in recording. The optional AJ-HVF21KG 50.8 mm (2 inches) Black-and-White HD Viewfinder can also be used.
• Electronic Shutter with Half-Speed: The AJ-HPX3100 features six shutter fixed speeds of up to 1/2000 sec., plus "half-speed" (180 degree) and synchro-scan capability.
• Two optical filters, ND and CC, have four positions each. The 3200K, 4300K, 5600K and 6300K positions of the CC filter help to express deeper colors.
• Mode Check: Displays a list of the camera settings on the viewfinder and LCD monitor.
• Zebra: Select any two levels from among 0% to 109%, in 1% step.
• Y-GET: Measures brightness at the screen center and displays precise numerical data.
• A 3 point locking viewfinder mount allows precise adjustment.
• The large Audio volumes (4ch) feature a push lock function.
• The Audio Input level adjustment (front) can be switched ON/OFF and allocated to desired channels.
AVC-Intra is a new codec that further advances HD production. It complies with the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 international standard based on advanced image compression technology, and offers both superb image quality and highly efficient compression. It uses an intra-frame compression system to bring important advantages to professional editing. A single-chip codec LSI is another way the P2 cam has reduced power consumption.
• High-Image-Quality AVC-Intra 100: With the same bit rate as DVCPRO HD, this mode supports full 10 bit 4:2:2 recordings with 1920 x 1080 pixels. It brings new mobility to high-end video production.
• Low-Bit-Rate AVC-Intra 50: This mode delivers video quality very similar to DVCPRO HD, yet is able to do so at bit rates usually associated with standard definition (e.g. DVCPRO 50). The lower bit rate doubles the recording time per P2 card over DVCPRO HD and lowers storage requirements. It supports 10 bit 4:2:0 recordings with 1440 x 1080 pixels.
The AVC-Intra mode supports 24 bit digital audio recording* (16-bit for DVCPRO HD, DVCPRO and DV). The AJ-HPX3100 offers 4-channel audio in all recording modes. Each channel input can be selected from FRONT (mic), REAR (line) and WL (wireless). The level volume also supports 4 channels.
P2 cards feature a large capacity of up to 64 GB*1, a compact size, and light weight. In addition to the semiconductor memory&s inherent resistance to impact, vibration and temperature change, the P2 card also offers outstanding reliability. Unlike tapes and discs, it has no rotating or physically contacting parts. It&s built to withstand repeated recording and initialization over long term of use. The P2 card connector is specifically designed to stand up to the repeated insertion and removal involved in professional use.
When you press the Record button in standby mode, the P2 cam instantly finds a blank area on the P2 card and begins recording. This speedy response shortens downtime when replacing batteries, and greatly cuts down on battery power consumption by letting you turn the power off during standby. P2 cards can even be exchanged with the power off. It can begin recording immediately even when you&re using it to preview video. In normal use, there is no chance of accidentally overwriting a recording. Recordings will not be erased unless you intentionally delete a file or initialize the card.
The AJ-HPX3100 supports the conventional DVCPRO HD codec and also offers DVCPRO 50/DVCPRO/DV capability for SD recording. This lets it flexibly adapt to various applications and system environments.
The P2 cam automatically generates a thumbnail image for each clip. You can view thumbnails on the built-in color LCD monitor. Any of the clips can be accessed instantly. The new shift button and scroll bar allow easy selection of clips. A playback can be paused, fast-forwarded, and reversed just like a tape, and an unwanted clip can be deleted by selecting and deleting the corresponding thumbnail image. You can also specify a number of clips for seamless playback* or on-air broadcasting from fields.
* Seamless playback is not possible between clips recorded in different formats.
• Card selection: The recording slot can be changed (sequential switching). This lets you review, organize, edit and transmit just recorded content. Content can also be organized while shooting, by switching cards for each scene category.
• Hot-swap rec: Thanks to the two card slots, you can hot-swap P2 cards for continuous non-stop recording.
• Loop-rec*: By allocating the open space on two P2 cards, the camera continue to record over that area until the operator pushes the stop button.
• Pre-rec: This stores approximately 8 seconds of video and audio data in memory while in standby mode and lets you recover and use the data from the approximate 8 seconds before you started recording.
• Interval rec*: This gives you automatic intermittent recording based on a set interval and recording time.
• One-shot rec*: This frame-shot recording function is useful for producing animations.
• Rec review: This lets you run a quick playback check of the clip-end you have just recorded.
When recording or previewing a clip, press the Text Memo button at any of up to 100 locations and a text memo label, similar to a bookmark, is registered. Using only the P2 cam, you can create a new clip with data copied between text memo labels. Text information can also be written into each memo. A shot mark, which allows convenient OK and NG marking, can also be added to each clip during or after recording. Text memo and shot mark facilitate the search and display of a desired scene during nonlinear editing.
The One-Clip Rec mode is handy for recording a variety of events. Whereas normal Rec mode produces a clip for each Rec start/stop cut, One-Clip Rec mode records up to 99 consecutive cuts as a single clip, which greatly improves the nonlinear editing work that follows. A text memo is automatically attached when recording begins, making it easy to find desired cuts within the clip.
When the optional AJ-GPS910G GPS Unit is mounted, the AJ-HPX3100 can record position information (latitude, longitude, altitude) as UMID information metadata. It also enables the recording of information pre-registered via an SD card, such as the camera operator&s name, reporter&s name and program name, as clip metadata. This data can be used to manage clips and to provide easy searching and sorting. The metadata on each clip can be viewed by PC or other devises via a P2 card, a USB cable or the optional AJ-WM30 wireless module in addition to AJ-HPX3100 itself.
When equipped with the newly developed optional AJ-YDX30 Video Encoder Board, the AJ-HPX3100 can record proxy data, which supports a file format (please see the chart) with higher resolution and better sound quality than previous formats, in a P2 card or SD/SDHC memory card. Furthermore, it enables the evaluation of video quality during off-line editing to improve work efficiency.
*Proxy data cannot be recorded if the Loop REC function is used in recording. Proxy data is AV data with low-resolution video and audio containing a time code, metadata, and other control information. The use of DCF Technologies is under license from Multi-Format, Inc.
When installed with the optional AJ-WM30 Wireless Module and AJ-SFU3100G Upgrade Software Key, the AJ-HPX3100 gains wireless LAN connectivity.*1 The following three functions can be used with PCs/Macs, smartphones*2 and portable media players*2. The AJ-HPX3100 has a built-in web application to allow remote operation from a WWW browser, without using special software.
The AJ-HPX3100 records the A/V data for each recording as a file on the P2 card, which eliminates the need for digitizing. The files can be used directly in a nonlinear editing system or, they can be transferred over a network or simply onto a hard disk drive. The P2 card transfers data at a high speed up to 1.2 Gbps*2 allowing faster, easier operation. The P2 card is convenient too — you can plug it directly into the card slot on certain laptops.
*1: PCs must be installed with the included P2 driver in order to mount P2 cards. For editing, PCs must be installed with P2-compatible editing software available from various companies. Read " Notes Regarding the Handling of P2 Files Using a PC ".
*2: 1.2 Gbps is the maximum transfer speed when using the P2 card E Series. Transfer speed is subject to changes depending on the system configuration.
• Camera recorder status display: Information such as video format, card/battery remaining capacity, time code, rec status, optical filter position, metadata and others can be checked remotely.
• Proxy video*3 playback and storage*4: Recorded video clips can be viewed on PCs/Macs, tablet devices, smartphones and portable media players. By connecting a PC/Mac to the AJ-HPX3100, you can save proxy data in the PC/Mac and also transfer files over the Internet.
• Metadata input and editing: Settings before recording, addition of GPS information, shot marks and text memos during recording, and editing after recording are possible.
This system supports low-cost studio integration. Two BNC cables allow the transmission of high-quality HD digital images, return images, tally signals, mic signals, and genlock signals over a cable length of 100 meters (328 feet) maximum. A special cable can be used to supply power to the camera.* For use with the AJ-HPX3100, the AG-EC4G Extension Remote Control Unit, which enables full control over image adjustments and recording, teams with the lightweight, compact, and highly mobile AG-CA300G Camera Adaptor.
*Power can be supplied only when the AG-BS300 Base Station is driven by an AC power source. A separate power cord is also required between the AG-BS300 Base Station and the AG-CA300G Camera Adaptor.
The AG-EC4G Extension Remote Control Unit or AJ-RC10G Remote Control Unit* offer both studio use and direct connection to the AJ-HPX3100. This lets you adjust the images and control the camera operation while viewing the monitor.
*The remote control unit can control only functions supported by the AJ-HPX3100. It cannot control unsupported keys or dials.
Two video line output terminals (BNC) are provided as standard equipment and flexibly support monitoring and line recording. The built-in down-converter outputs high-quality SD video signals for broadcasting use. The aspect mode can also be selected.
•SDI OUT (HD/SD):Can also output signals with embedded audio. Backup recording operation can be interlinked with the Rec Start/ Stop controls of an HD-SDI input-equipped Panasonic recorder, such as the AG-HPG20, etc. The AJ-HPX3100 can also output downconverted SD-SDI from an HD source
•MON OUT: Can output HD SDI/SD SDI/Composite. HD signals can be down converted.
The AJ-HPX3100 supports line recording through the SDI input terminal; thus, it can be used as a portable recorder. It supports 1080/59.94i, 1080/50i, 480/59.94i and 576/50i input signals.
*The input signal must be in the same format as the recording format of the camera recorder.
Return video signal (analog HD-Y signal) input to the GENLOCK IN terminal or HD/SD video signal (HD/SD SDI signal) input to the SDI IN terminal can be viewed on the viewfinder.
*The input signal must be in the same format as the recording format of the camera recorder.
The 2-channel XLR audio input terminals on the rear panel are compatible with a +48 V phantom power supply. The new automatic front/rear switching function automatically selects the rear input signal when input is connected to the rear terminal.
The AJ-HPX3100 incorporates the Host and Device USB 2.0 as standard connectors. In Device mode, a P2 card slot can be used as an external PC device. In Host mode, an external hard disk drive can be connected, making it easy to copy data from the P2 card to HDD. The thumbnails of stored video in HDD also can be viewed.
The AJ-HPX3100 has a built-in SMPTE time code generator/reader.TC IN and OUT terminals make time code throughput possible. This permits an external time-code lock.
• UniSlot ® wireless receiver compatible (2 channels).
* UniSlot ® is a trademark of Ikegami Tsusinki Co., Ltd.
• Anton/Bauer light connector on the top (lower front side of the handle).
• Equipped with earphone terminals (stereo mini-jack) and speaker.
• Multiple battery support, including Anton/Bauer or IDX batteries*.
* The V-mount battery plate is required for IDX batteries.
There are many nonlinear editing products in the market that already support P2. P2 native editing makes it possible for you to maintain high-quality video and a flexible editing workflow.
* For information on compatible nonlinear editing systems, visit "Nonlinear Compatibility Information." For the operating requirements and other details of editing software, visit the website of the relevant software manufacturer.
Clips recorded using 24 bit audio must be played back with 24 bit compatible P2 equipment or the P2 Viewer. If clips are played back with equipment not compatible with 24 bit audio, the clip number will be indicated in red and the clips will not be played back. A P2 Viewernot compatible with 24 bit audio will not reproduce the sound properly. To play back those clips, use the latest version of P2 Viewer. For the latest information on 24 bit compatible P2 equipment and P2 Viewer, see " Support & Download " on the Panasonic website.