Currently a number of retailers, particularly on market places, are importing genuine Panasonic goods from outside the European market, (which encompasses the European Economic Area (EEA) plus Switzerland) for sale to UK and European consumers. Often these products are intended for Asian or US markets that may require different standards and legal compliance.
If you buy a product from one of these retailers we'd like you to be aware that there are risks associated with buying what is termed a "Grey Import”. A grey import is generally described as a non-counterfeit product sourced from outside the EEA. They are also known as “parallel imports”.
The potential problems with Grey Import products – including Non CE Mark
European consumers may find that grey market products do not meet their expectations because the products were not set up and tailored for that local market. For example:
• They may not have a CE mark which is required by European law and shows the product meets European safety requirements and can therefore be placed on the European market;
• The box may not contain a UK power cord, or may contain a UK power cord or adaptor that was not provided by Panasonic and has not been quality checked by Panasonic;
• The product may comprise a bundle of different products such as camera and lenses which were intended for different countries such as Hong Kong and Australia and which were not technically meant to be put together.
• In some cases the manufacturer will not support the standard warranty - see further explanation on our Warranty Policy here;
• Some of these sellers ask for a stocking fee if you want to return within the cooling off period, even if such fees are illegal which may mean it is more difficult to return an item;
• You could potentially be liable for customs duty and import VAT on your purchase either directly (if you are the importer of record) or, more likely, indirectly (where the retailers seeks to pass on those costs as part of the price charged to you). It is possible that these sellers are failing to properly declare and pay such taxes; and
As grey-market products are not intended by Panasonic for the European market, such products are ineligible to benefit from UK/European promotions, including Panasonic’s Cashback offers.
If in doubt about whether any Panasonic product is intended for the European market, check with the reseller or supplier or go to our Dealer Locator at http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/where-to-buy.html