Nothing says summer like packing up the car and heading out of town for a weekend by the lake. Making memories with friends and family is all about spending time together, and what better way to enhance those moments than with delicious meals and sensational snacks?
The key to easy weekend eating is being sure to plan and prep in advance. Whether you are hosting everyone at your cottage or going as a guest, being prepared with some easy take-along dishes will set you up for success.
1) Keep it simple and fuss free.
2) Choose recipes that can be made in advance or are easy to throw together at mealtime.
3) Prep your ingredients (chop, slice and dice) before you leave and bring them along in containers.
4) Choose dishes that are easy to transport and aren’t at risk of spoiling on the drive.
5) For recipes that need to be made at the cottage, simplify the cooking process by using your outdoor grill, or smaller appliances such a microwave or rice cooker.
And with those tips in mind, we’ve got you covered with some great recipes to make your cottage weekend fun and delicious!
For a quick dockside snack or grab-and-go breakfast, try these crunchy and healthy Apple Carrot Three-Seed Muesli Bars.
For an egg-cellent breakfast that you can make at home and bring up ready to serve, go with these delicious Frittata Squares and enjoy an extra long sleep in.
When lunch and dinner roll around, come prepared with some hearty side salads that you can get on the table quickly. Pair them with your choice of grilled meats, fish, tofu and veggies and you’ve got a delicious dinner that will please your hungry crowd. Here are a few recipes to get you started:
No cottage weekend should be without some refreshing drinks served up by the lake. So don’t forget the beer and wine, and be sure to mix up a pitcher of this tangy Pink Grapefruit Lemonade that your guests of all ages can enjoy.
What meal is complete without dessert? This satisfying sweet and tart Lemon Drizzle cake can be made ahead, and even plucked from the freezer before you head up. It’ll serve up slices of happiness all weekend long and ensure you win the title of best host or favourite guest, hands down!