Barry Green is an Emmy-winning producer and writer, who has written many books on Panasonic camcorders over the years. He is working on a new book for the AG-DVX200. Panasonic has asked him to share some excerpts from the book and to write some new articles that will help explain some of the new technologies and features of the AG-DVX200; Panasonic is pleased to share with you these articles:
The AG-DVX200 debuts as the world's first* 4/3-type large format camcorder
The crimson red coloring and stylish carbon-black textured body form a highly impressive and innovative design, in response to the artistic sensibility of video creators. This color scheme also reflects the expressive capability of the AG-DVX200's vividly detailed 4K images together with its superb mobility and intuitively easy operation, supporting the everyday demands of active professionals.
The AG-DVX200 features a number of high-end functions, including Full-HD
The AG-DVX200 also features 120-fps Variable Frame Rate (VFR) shooting and dual codec recording. And it integrates a newly developed LEICA DICOMAR 4K 13x zoom lens. High-speed, high-precision full-auto functions and professional-level manual functions provide operating ease and mobility that are possible only from a lens-integrated body. Capture stunning images with the shallow focus and attractive Bokeh effect of its 4/3-type large-format sensor, and the latitude made possible by the 12-stop V-Log L processing inherited. High-speed processing of these high resolution images by a new 4K engine enables high-quality, multi-format (4K/24p, UHD/60p, FHD/60p) recording.
• F2.8 Leica DICOMAR 4K lens. 13x zoom, 4K (4096 x 2196), 24p: 29,5 mm – 384,9 mm, FHD: 28mm – 365,3 mm (Equivalent to 35mm).
• 5-Axis Hybrid Image Stabilizer
• Advanced Optical Image Stabilizer (OIS)
• ND Filters: OFF, 1/4, 1/16, 1/64 ND filters built-in
• New 4/3-type Sensor for Beautiful Bokeh Effects and 4K Resolution
• 12 stops of Latitude from V-Log L
• SD Memory Card U3 Standard for 4K Acquisition
• 120-fps Variable Frame Rate (VFR) shooting and dual codec recording
• UHD/60p High-Resolution, High-Speed Full-Frame Recording
• Double SD Card Slot Boosts Recording Reliability
Variable Frame Rate HD Recording at Max. 120 fps
When recording at high Full-HD (1920 x 1080) resolution, the frame rate can be varied from 2 to 120 fps.* Slow-motion images can be achieved by shooting at up to 12x normal speed (in 24p mode), and quick-motion images can be produced by dropping frames.
* When shooting from 2 to 96 fps, 28.0mm can be achieved at the wide-angle end, but this is limited to 35.2mm when shooting at 100 or 120 fps.
12 stops of Latitude from V-Log L
The AG-DVX200 features a V-Log L function that is equivalent to the V-Log and curve characteristics provided on the new VariCam Series. Its 12-stop wide dynamic range accommodates cinema production work requiring post-process color gradation. In addition to this, gamma curves can be selected from 8 modes, including CINE-LIKE V, CINELIKE D, FILMLIKE 1/2/3, HD and SD.
* The VariCam35 V-Log has 14+ stops
4K Engine with High-Speed Processing on a New LSI
The 4K engine, which is mounted on the AG-DVX200's newly developed LSI, quickly processes the massive amount of 4K data. A new noise reduction function also minimizes noise when shooting dark scenes with increased gain.
Full frame rate recording at a maximum 60p (60 fps) is possible with UHD (3840 x 2160) resolution. This produces smooth, highresolution images from fast-moving scenes with no dropped frames. No dropped frames, which is important due to the recent announcement of UHD 59.94 native acquisition.
Triple Manual Ring
The AG-DVX200 features three manual rings for mechanical (cam-driven) Zoom, Focus and Iris control. This manual operation offers a highly familiar, professional feel.
ND Filters, Gain, White Balance
• ND Filters: OFF, 1/4, 1/16, 1/64 ND filters built-in.
• Gain Selector: Select from 0dB to +24dB gain for 3-position (L/M/H) allocation.
• AWB Selector: Two-value (A/B) memory and presets (3200/5600/VAR) can be selected.
Dual Codec Recording
This function allows the image to be simultaneously recorded into two different, Main and Sub, formats.* An efficient workflow can be achieved by using the Sub Rec File for tasks such as previews, offline editing, and Internet data transfers. Dual Codec Recording is provided with two modes, an FHD 50M mode and an FHD 8M mode. (See the table above.)
* Different frame rates cannot be selected.
* The use of DCF Technologies is under license from MultiFormat, Inc.
Other Recording Functions
• Pre Rec: This function constantly caches approximately 4 seconds of video and audio data in MOV/MP4 format, or approximately 3 seconds in AVCHD format, prior to Rec Start, so the data can be recovered in case there is a delay in pressing Rec Start.
• Interval Rec: Records intermittently based on a set interval time.
• Freeze Frame: Images can be recorded as still images together with audio.
• Rec Check: This lets you check the end of the most recently recorded clip with one-touch ease.