Panasonic R&D Overview
Panasonic Group promotes a growth strategy and R&D activities that generate new customer values in 4 business areas ( Consumer Electronics, Housing, Automotive, B2B).
“Develop people before making products”
The founder Konosuke Matsushita spoke these words.
“A company is its people. No business will grow without securing the proper personnel.”
In the past and in the future, what moves the world is nothing other than “people.”
We have things to accomplish.
We have responsibilities to fulfill.
There are things that can only be done by Panasonic, which as a public entity of society has been developing and expanding worldwide a full line of household products.
Our mission is to embody the desires of people around the world.
To fulfill this mission,
Panasonic will continue to meet various challenges in the global arena with its people and technologies.
Look ahead to the “Future,” keep taking on challenges.
Global R&D Map
Panasonic promotes research and development to offer new value to customers in a wide range of business areas: "Consumer Electronics," "Housing," "Automotive," and "B2B." We are advancing global-based development in optimal locations in Japan, North America, Europe, and Asia with an R&D system that makes use of local talents and skills.
|Europe||E 1 Panasonic R&D Center Germany, GmbH
E 2 Panasonic AVC Langen Development Center
E 3 Integrated Digital Service Center
E 4 Panasonic Mobile Communications Development of Europe Ltd.
E 5 Panasonic Industrial Devices Europe Gmbh. Europe Technology Center
E 6 Panasonic IMEC Center
E 7 Panasonic Appliance Lifestyle Research Center Europe
|Greater China||C 1 Panasonic R&D Center Suzhou Co., Ltd.
C 2 Panasonic Software Development Center Dalian Co., Ltd.
C 3 Panasonic Automotive Systems Development Tianjin Co., Ltd.
C 4 Panasonic China Life Style Research Center
C 5 Panasonic Industrial Devices Sales (China) Co., Ltd. China Technology Center
C 6 Panasonic Home Appliances R&D Center (Hangzou) Co., Ltd.
|ASEAN||A 1 Panasonic R&D Center Singapore, Division of Panasonic Asia Paciﬁc Pte. Ltd.
A 2 Panasonic R&D Center Vietnam Co., Ltd.
A 3 Panasonic Appliances R&D Center (Thailand) Co., Ltd
A 4 Panasonic Appliances Air-Conditioning R&D (M) Sdn. Bhd.
A 5 Panasonic Industrial Devices Singapore Singapore Technology Center
A 6 Panasonic Appliances Vietnam Co., Ltd. R&D Center
A 7 Panasonic Appliances R&D Centre Asia Pacific SDN BHD
|India||I 1 India Innovation Centre|
|North America||U 1 Panasonic R&D Company of America, Division of Panasonic Corporation of North America
U 2 Panasonic β, Division of Panasonic Corporation of North America
U 3 ARIMO LCC.
|Japan||関東エリア ・東京拠点 ・横浜拠点
関西エリア ・大阪拠点 ・京阪奈拠点 ・滋賀拠点
Training ourselves by various measures as well as conducting joint research activities with various universities and research institutions, and creating innovative new products and business models
- Co-creation with major companies and entrepreneurial ventures at Tokyo, Osaka and Fukuoka sites (Organizing various events, such as Ideathon and Workshop)
Wonder LAB Osaka
Panasonic Laboratory Tokyo
Panasonic Laboratory Fukuoka
Promotion of innovation
- Panasonic β
New cross-organizational development activity centered on Silicon Valley using new approaches such as agile method and design thinking for innovation mass production.
Joint research: Universities and research institutions worldwide
- imec(Belgium), CEA(France), MIT(USA), Stanford(USA), etc.
- Cooperation with over 150 national research institutes and university laboratories
- Panasonic research centers have been established on campuses at The University of Tokyo, Kyoto University, Osaka University, Nagoya University, AIST, and NIMS, and joint research is being carried out.
Collaboration and Co-creation: Breaking away from self-reliance / Emphasis on speed / Win-win relationship building
- 2017 Service Demonstration utilizing Autonomous transport robot “HOSPI®”
- 2017 New user experience with camera-shearing-service “PaN”
- 2017 Service Demonstration of automated checkout system with Reji Robo®, short for register robots
Innovative Collaboration with Berlin Phil Media
Collaborating with Berlin Phil Media on technology development since January 2017 to explore opportunities to bring a premium and authentic live concert hall experience to the home and the in-car environment.
- The Digital Concert Hall, which is the internet video platform to distribute the Berliner Philharmoniker’s performance, will provide home audiences with an authentic live concert hall experience by broadcasting ultra high-definition video which vividly reproduces even the luster and texture of musical instruments.
- For both its Panasonics and Technics brand audio and video equipment, in order to deliver high-quality, emotive sound, Panasonic has been holding learning session with Berlin Phil Media’s recording producers and sound engineers to better grasp the aesthetics of music and the emotion of music.
(c) Monika Rittershaus
(c) Peter Adamik
Academic society activities and paper submission
- Taking on the challenge of the world's top-level publications (Nature, Science, etc.)
- Setting up sites in North America, Europe, China, and Singapore to promote standardization activities based on open and closed strategies.
- Global Standard : IEC(electrical and energy system), ITU(electrical communication), ISO(automotive etc.)
- Forum/Consortium : W3C(Web technology), 3GPP(5G), IEEE(communication)
Joining in national projects in Japan
- Cabinet Office: Cross-ministerial Strategic Innovation Promotion Program (SIP)
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology: The Center of Innovation (COI) Program
- Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry: NEDO* energy / environmental technology, and industrial technology projects
* NEDO: New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization
- Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications: Research and development for information and communication technology
Training Programs for Core-technology Enhancement
- Rank-based Technical Training Programs for Enhancement of Core-technology in R&D 10-Year Vision
- Technology Exchange Workshop in the Company for Cross-value Innovation
Hands-on Growth Programs for Supporting Challengers
- Domestic and International Studying Abroad
- Horizontal Company-wide Resource Exchange
AI Solutions Center, Business Innovation Division
Joined March 2011
Currently, I am researching next-generation wearable robot technology. My work extends from the idea and concept creation stage all the way through prototype design to verification experiments.
This enables me to continually learn and absorb new things, while being aware of my daily personal growth. Since the aim of my research is to develop products that customers will want and that can contribute to society, it makes me appreciate the importance and significance of my work. Although my original intention was to come to Japan for a short period of time, I feel that my work is rewarding and I want to continue taking on challenges here at Panasonic.
Institute for Energy and Material/Food Resources, Technology Innovation Division
Joined April 2010
During my student days, I was immersed in battery material development. I studied this field in depth and aspired to work in the battery industry. The basic principle of a battery can be expressed with a comparatively simple chemical-reaction formula. However, the actual reaction is quite complicated, and various elemental technologies are required in order to power devices. In my second year at Panasonic, I was transferred to the R&D Division (now Technology Innovation Division), a place I hoped to be someday. Here I have senior colleagues with a wide variety of specialties and a range of business area experience. I am really enjoying being here on the frontlines of battery technology.
Core Element Technology Development Center
Joined April 2012
I am carrying out R&D into technology that can identify individuals or individual attributes such as gender from the sound of a person's voice. I am also working on a PhD at our joint research partner, the Institute of Statistical Mathematics (Inter-University Research Institute Corporation). It is very rewarding to be in an environment that provides me with many opportunities to obtain new knowledge and learn about the latest technology (through lectures and exhibits, etc.), along with the means to achieve my dreams. In university, besides deepening your expertise in your own specialty, I hope you can be exposed to a variety of other areas.
Advanced Technologies Development Center, Engineering Division, Eco Solutions Company
Joined April 2013
I am doing research related to plant factories. I am studying the effects of changes in cultivation conditions on plants including their growth rates and components. My dream is to launch my own R&D project related to agriculture, and to have it eventually become a product. Just like when I did my internship here, I find everyone in my workplace to be cheerful and energetic. My current research work is completely different from what I studied in university, and it is quite difficult, since I still have a lot to learn. However, it is also very exciting, as I discover new things each day. Why not join us in helping to develop cutting-edge technology!
Innovation Center, Connected Solutions Company
Joined April 2013
I am involved in the development of B2B services utilizing artificial intelligence. Panasonic makes appliances, vehicles, equipment and even homes that are sold worldwide. Therefore, I joined the company with a notion that the products and services I help to create may become readily available all over the world. The people I work with are very interesting and have a wide range of interests and career backgrounds, which is stimulating for me. If you are highly entrepreneurial and want to help make new products and services that will be used worldwide, I encourage you to take on challenges through a career at Panasonic.
Beauty And Living Business Division, Appliances Company
Joined April 2009
In my department we develop technology for facial beauty products, and my job involves proposing technology concepts and helping to generate new technology for the creation of products never seen before. I wanted to work in a field that makes people happy. Personal care appliances have the potential to bring a lot of happiness to people, and before joining Panasonic I thought that I would enjoy being involved with these kinds of products. I am striving to carry out product development that pursues ease of use, effectiveness, and usability. I want to help make personal care appliances become an integral part of our daily lives, whether to help people dry their hair or shave their beards more easily.
Automotive Electronics Systems Business Division, Automotive & Industrial Systems Company
Joined April 2011
My work involves the electrical design of electronic control-unit used to enhance the ease of vehicle handling and driving stability. I also perform control unit evaluation using a simulator. The era of electronic and electrically powered vehicles has already begun. As an electronics manufacturer, Panasonic is in a position to do something new in the automotive field. For product development, I need to work together with engineers and staff from outside my specialty area. In this kind of environment, I experience the joy of pursuing my own development interests, while also feeling great satisfaction to be involved in the development of products that will be useful to many people.
Material Development Department, Production Engineering Laboratory, Production Engineering Division
Joined April 2008
I am engaged in R&D for the practical application of new lead-free solder material, which is essential for the advancement of equipment to ensure automobile safety and security, comfort, and environmental performance. During my eight years at the company, I have gained a wide variety of work experiences. While working under strict guidance, I enjoy a supportive workplace environment, where we cooperate for success. I think Panasonic is a company that lets you take on challenges, as long as you have a goal and show that you are willing to work toward it. I am looking forward to working with you to create new products that help bring excitement to the world.