Penang is a food haven well-known for their street food like this Penang laksa. The fresh spices in the broth complement the mackerel fish well and pineapple chunks add a subtly delicious finish to the palate. Try this easy recipe at home.
- 600 gMackerel, steamed and flaked
- 2 LWater
Spice Blend Ingredients
- 100 gShallots
- 30 gTurmeric, fresh
- 75 gGalangal
- 1Ginger Torch Flower
- 80 gChili Paste
- 50 gFermented Dried Shrimp Paste (Belacan)
- 5sprig Laksa Leaves
- To taste Tamarind Paste, 60 g mixed with 100ml water and strained
- To taste Salt & Sugar
- 1 kgRice Noodles, blanched
- As desired Red Chilli, finely sliced
- As desired Pineapple, cut into chunks
- As desired Onions, finely sliced
- As desired Mint Leaves
- As desired Ginger Torch Flower, finely sliced
1) Place the fish on a microwave-safe pan and steam in microwave oven. Press STEAM & MICRO POWER and turn the dial to set cooking time to approximately 7 minutes (cooking time depends on the size of the fish). Press START/SET to cook. Once done, allow to cool. Flake fish and set aside.
2) Place the spice blend ingredients in the mixer grinder and pulse to a coarse mixture.
3) Bring a pot of water to a boil and add all the ingredients except the mackerel, rice noodles and garnish. Cook for 30 minutes, season with salt and sugar to taste, then strain soup.
4) Add noodles and flaked mackerel to individual serving bowls, then add red chillies and top off with soup. Add garnish as desired and serve.
Tips: For an authentic Penang laksa you want a tangy, sour soup – not a sweet one. You can also substitute mackerel with fresh tuna.
Join our FB Community Group
Eating a wide variety of healthy food helps keep you in excellent health. Keeping a healthy diet requires consistency and the common bump that people get into is preparing a variety of healthy meals. Our group, Healthy Everyday Recipes by Panasonic Cooking is here to help you with a wide variety of home cooked recipes shared among the community. Join us today!
Food Storage & Cooking Technologies
Inspired by the precise method of traditional cooking and its emphasis on fresh ingredients, Panasonic's innovative technologies allow ingredients to be stored fresh whilst still retaining their natural nutrients and umami during cooking; all to make preparing healthy meals a pleasure.
Keeps ingredients fresh & clean
Panasonic's unique freezing and storage technologies ensure food retains its nutrition during storage; allowing you to enjoy fresh, nutritious meals whenever you want to.
Cooks healthy & delicious food easily
Panasonic's kitchen appliances feature technologies that simplify cooking without compromising the food's natural flavours or nutrition.