Braised Pork with Plums - Recipes for Autumn
Braised Pork with Plums is a delicious meal for the colder evening dinners. This recipe can be made in advance for a tasty meal or leftovers. Allow time for its slow cooking and marinading.
Dish: large bowl, large heat proof casserole dish.
1. Cut the pork into big pieces about the length of your thumb and twice as wide. Put into a large bowl and add the rice wine, soy sauces, half the ginger, half the garlic and half the chilli. Marinate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours
2. Heat the oven to 140°C.
3. Heat the oil on the stove in a large casserole, tip in half the spring onions, remaining ginger and garlic, star anise, five spice powder and cinnamon. Fry gently until fragrant and soft.
4. Stir in the sugar, turn up the heat, then lift the pork from the marinade and place in the casserole with the onion mix, cook for about 3 mins until the meat is just sealed but not browned.
5. Tip in the marinade, tomato puree and stock, give it a stir, cover, then place in the oven and cook for 2 ½ hours.
6. After the first hour is up, add the plums to the pan.
7. Take the lid off and carry on cooking uncovered. The meat should be completely tender, turning golden brown where it breaks the surface of the sauce.
8. Spoon off any excess fat from surface, then scoop the meat and plums carefully from the pan with a slotted spoon.
9. Turn the oven up to 180°C and let the sauce cook for a further 5-10 mins until reduced and slightly syrupy.
10. Return everything to the pan gently warm through, then scatter the spring onions over the top to serve